The other day I was having a bad day. It all started off when things didn't go well with one of my assignments for school. I was worried about the grade that I might get and I was feeling like I wasn't able to do my best. That kind of set the mood for the rest of the day. Looking back on it, it wasn't that big of a deal, but at the time it really seemed like it and I got off on the wrong foot early on in the day.
Well, I tried to push forward. I knew I had a long day ahead of me with a lot of things to do. I went to a freelance assignment for interpreting which was fine until I found out I was supposed to have contacted a specific person for part of my assignment. I ended up calling that person, but when I did they were not very happy that I hadn't called them earlier. I explained that I wasn't given any instructions by my supervisors to call until that time, but he still sounded a bit frustrated with me and I felt a pretty belittled as he was talking to me. Grrr! Things were just not going right!
I drove back to UVU where I was attending a presentation for my elementary ed. program. Did I mention it was a cloudy, rainy, cold, and generally not very pleasant weather that day? Well it was. I don't think this helped me to feel any better. If anything, the gray just matched the events of that day. I walked in the doors and I signed in for the presentation. I noticed they were doing a drawing for some books. I LOVE to read whenever I can and I LOVE collecting books for my future classroom. The last presentation I had been to they had a drawing but I didn't win which was a bummer, but I was excited that they were doing a drawing again this time.
I got a piece of paper and wrote my name down. I carefully folded it up and placed it in the basket. As I did so, I had a thought...which was kind of a little comment to Heavenly Father (yes, sometimes I do this) and I said "You know, this has been a really bad day. I think if I were to win a book my day might just get a little better." I sat down still feeling a little lousy and I listened to the lecture. Then it came time for the drawing. My literacy teacher drew the first paper out of the basket and shouted "MEGAN WESTBROOK!" All of the girls in my class cheered for my as I walked up to pick my book. I picked Charlotte's Web.
When my teacher read my name, I couldn't help but smile. I couldn't help but laugh inside as I thought about how I had said that little comment in my mind as I put my name in the basket. How funny that not only was my name drawn, but it was the first one drawn! I walked out of the lecture and out into the rain again. I laughed out loud to myself. I said a prayer of thanks to Heavenly Father for being mindful of me under the most simple of circumstances. Winning that book was that little ray of sunshine that I needed and it completely turned my day around.
Not like some of my other experiences, this one is a simple one. Again, some may say it was pure coincidence that my name happened to be drawn first out of the one-hundred people that were at the lecture that day. But I don't think so. There was a feeling and a thought that came with that experience that seemed to whisper "this is just for you." I can't explain any more than that.
I know I have so many shortcomings and weaknesses. I say some things that I wish I didn't say and I neglect things that I need to do that I wish I wouldn't, and yet I still feel blessed everyday. I want to always try to do what is right and live worthy of each blessing I receive. I hope I will always use those blessings to go about doing good and be an instrument in His hands in whatever way He would use me that day. I know I have a long way to go, but He is patient and loves me still. I am grateful for His love and I am grateful that He cares enough to help me through those days that feel like a big deal, even if in hindsight it maybe wasn't. Sometimes God uses those little moments that may seem insignificant on the outside to teach us something great.
"Seeing What Matters Most"
http://www.mormonchannel.org/video/mormon-messages?v=1101413031001
--Megan

No comments:
Post a Comment