Nineteen years ago today I learned what it felt like to have someone close to you die. I was downstairs at my house. It was early in the morning and my dad came downstairs and told me that my grandpa (his dad) had died. He had been in the hospital with heart problems and we had just been to visit him. I was so young at the time that I don't think I even thought that there was a possibility that he would die. I still remember the moment and I remember hugging my dad and crying. I remember parts of the viewing and the funeral.
I don't remember a lot of conversations with my grandpa, but I do remember some little moments. I remember is seeing him with my brother on his lap in the living room bouncing and whistling through his front teeth. I remember his tomatoes that he tended to in the back yard. I remember him coming and watching me play outside. I am really grateful for those little things that I can remember....and more than anything I am grateful for the feeling that I get when I think of him that tells me how much he loves me.
A kiss from Grandpa
My grandpa was quite a bit older than my grandma and he was 86 years old when he died. So she has had to be without him for a long time. Even though she has had to be alone for so long she has tried to keep busy with friends and family. When I was little Grandma was always my best bud. I would go over and have sleep overs, play games, make-believe, play tennis on the back porch, and run and run and RUN until grandma was absolutely tuckered out! I would also call her on the phone and we would play games over the phone and I would sing to her. I have so many fun memories with Grandma and I never tire of talking to her about them. I still love getting together with her. Even though sometimes she is so tired she still makes me lunch and dessert whenever I come over. She loves hearing about how things are going and loves when I come visit. I love spending time with her. My Mom's mom is the most energetic grandma that I know! Whenever I go and visit her she is up and awake before I am. She is willing to take me anywhere and makes every moment fun. I hope that I can have the kind of fun energy that she has when I am her age! I have learned a lot from her about pushing forward even through tough times. I love that I can look back and remember fun visits to Las Vegas, trips to the store to rent movies and pick out candy that doesn't even exist anymore, weekends at Snowbird, and long walks to 7-11 for an ice cream sandwich. We have had some great times!
A Raggedy Ann Doll that my grandma made for me.
Enjoying a birthday party with my grandma and all of my family.
Swimming at Snowbird with my grandma, mom, and Michael.
My Grandma and Grandpa on my mom's side got divorced a long time before I was born. My Grandpa re-married a beautiful lady who happened to have the same name as his first wife. Yes, very weird I know but I have two grandma's with the same name: Betty Lou Olson and Betty Lou Olson. Since we already called my biological grandma "Grandma O." We had to come up with another name for my Grandpa's second wife. I don't remember the moment we came up with this, but we started to call her "Grandma Kim" because she and my Grandpa had a daughter named Kim. For some reason it stuck and we still call her that to this day. I remember playing so many fun games with her at the house, even though she had so many things to do she would always take time to play with me and Kim. She would set up a tent for us in the front yard to play in, she would chase us around the big pine tree and pretend to be the big bad wolf, she took us to Jungle Jim's and watched us play for hours, she would create little treasure hunts for us in the house and have an actual treasure for us at the end. She was so kind to me and loved me unconditionally. I will never forget when our family was going through some really difficult times and I was over at her house crying on her couch. She came over and held me and my brother and she cried with us. I had never seen her cry before and so when she cried at the moment I felt so much empathy and love coming from her for me and our whole family. Whenever I explain my relationship to Grandma Kim, I can't bring myself to call her my "step-grandma" because it does not even come close to what she has meant to me. She was and IS my real grandma and I love her dearly. She passed away unexpectedly in 1999 from sudden heart failure and I still miss her everyday and wish she was still here.
Grandma Kim watching Maddy play.
My Grandpa O. passed away seven years ago. It seems like forever. He is someone who I look up to so much and strive to be like. He was so mild mannered, so calm, gentle, and loving to everyone and anyone. When I think of Grandpa O. I think of tan old fashioned jump suits with a matching fishing hat, hand-watering lawns, libraries, ketchup, Arby's, Woody's, Pineapple shakes, banana bars, rubber bands, pens, and a love of learning. Grandpa found joy in the simplest of things and I feel like I relate so much to him. I find myself smiling and wanting to ask people: "So let me get your take on this..." I drive slow and sometimes wait for a long time before making that left hand turn even though the next car is a mile away. It took me several minutes to remember the real word for a dip in the road because they have become known to our family as "dipsee-doodles" as Grandpa called them. I loved how when I got older I went and played the piano for him at his house and after I finished playing a song he would say something like "Now let me ask you a question there Megan. About how long do you think it would take you to learn another piece and be able to play it like that? You young kids just amaze me at what you can do." I wish so much that I could go back in time and have more chats with him. I wish I could go back and see him sitting in his recliner chair and give him the biggest hug and kiss his whiskery cheeks and his bald head and tell him how much I love him and how terribly I miss him!
Grandpa taking a moment with Mike
How much Grandpa loves us... :)
So this post was mostly for me. I am SO grateful for the grandparents that I have. I feel so blessed and lucky to have each of them. My message for anyone who reads this is to take time for your grandparents. They have so much to give and so much to share. They won't be here forever. Take the time TODAY! Pick up the phone and give them a call. Write them a note and tell them how grateful you are for them. Don't let them be forgotten. Tell them you love them. Take time to give them a hug and a kiss. Those things mean more to Grandmas and Grandpas then we may know and those moments will mean more to us when we look back and remember them when they aren't physically with us anymore. I am grateful for eternal families and I can't wait to see my grandparents again someday.
--Megan






















Oh Megan, I love this! I have happy tears streaming down my face. We really need to get together soon so that we can share pictures and videos. :)
ReplyDelete